Antique Pair Of Cut Glass Liqueur Decanters Martin Hall & Co 1898

SOLD

Antique Pair Of Cut Glass Liqueur Decanters Martin Hall & Co 1898

SOLD

FREE UK DELIVERY

Please log in to ask a question about this item.

A superb pair of antique Victorian sterling silver mounted hobnail-cut clear glass ovoid liqueur decanters and stoppers , with the makers mark of Martin Hall & Co and hallmarks for london 1898.This lovely pair have decorative triform pouring colars with elongated necks and can serve decorative as well as practical purposes.

Add an elegant touch to your next dining experience.

Condition:

In excellent condition, with no dings dents or chips, please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:

Height 24 x Width 9 x Depth 9

Dimensions in inches:

Height 9 inches x Width 3 inches x Depth 3 inches

Martin, Hall & Co -
the origin of the firm was in the partnership established in 1820 in Sheffield by Henry Wilkinson and John Roberts who traded as Wilkinson & Roberts. Wilkinson left the business and in 1846 John Roberts entered in partnership with Ebenezer Hall (his apprentice in 1836) under the style Roberts & Hall.

In 1854 Richard Martin (of Martin Brothers & Naylor) and Joshua Hall (brother of Ebenezer Hall) entered into the partnership under the style Martin, Hall & Co. In 1866 the firm was converted into a Ltd. The factory was active at Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park, Sheffield with showrooms in London (where they were listed as manufacturing silversmiths and electroplated manufacturers, silver, plated and steel cutlers), Sydney, Birmingham and Glasgow.

The firm partecipated to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the Internation Exhibition (1862), the Sydney Exhibition (1879), the Melboune Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair.

Besides its sterling silver and electroplated items the firm had a successful cheaper line of production on a patented white metal called "Martinoid".

Items made by Martin, Hall & Co were retailed by Wordley & Co - Liverpool, Ball & Edwards - Birmingham, Henry Ellis & Son - Exeter, Charles Nephew & Co - Calcutta, West & Son - Dublin, Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd - Cornhill, Pearce & Co - Leeds, Mappin Brothers - London, George Edward & Sons - Glasgow, James Aitchinson - Edinburgh, Mackay & Chisholm - Edinburgh and many other firms.

After WWI and a brief association of interests with Gladwin Ltd the firm went in liquidation and was struck off the register in 1936 (according to another source the business was sold to Frank Cobb & Co in 1931/1932).

Width: 9.0 cm
Height: 24.0 cm
Depth: 9.0 cm

Estimated Time: Less than one week

Free UK Mainland delivery.

Can be collected from London, N4
We offer a 14-day return policy. Read more

Condition: Refurbished

Listed by: Tino_8f8a
SKU: 25071395

Vinterior is the marketplace for
vintage furniture.

Sign up for your weekly interior inspiration

Find the remarkable