This item has been sold, but we have similar available

Antique English Silver Rococo Tea & Coffee Set 1884

Antique English Silver Rococo Tea & Coffee Set 1884

Antique English Silver Rococo Tea & Coffee Set 1884

Sold

Keep updated on our latest arrivals

Be the first to receive the latest vintage finds, enjoy interior inspiration and unearth furniture with real soul

About this item

This is a rare and exquisite four piece antique silver four piece tea & coffee set with hallmarks for  the celebrated silversmith Charles Boyton, London, 1884.

This is a truly exquisite set with fabulous and beautiful  top quality embossed decoration. Each piece is same date and maker.
 

Condition:

In excellent condition with no dings or dents, please see photos for confirmation of condition.

Dimensions in cm:

Height 25 x Width 23 x Depth 15 - Height is of coffee pot

Height 20 x Width 25 x Depth 15 - Tea Pot

Height 14 x Width 13 x Depth 10 - Cream Jug

Height 13 x Width 20 x Depth 12 - Sugar bowl

Weight 67 troy oz - Weight is all 4 pieces

Dimensions in inches:

Height 10 inches x Width 9 inches x Depth 6 inches - Height is of coffee pot

Height 8 inches x Width 10 inches x Depth 6 inches - Tea Pot

Height 5 inches x Width 5 inches x Depth 4 inches - Cream Jug

Height 5 inches x Width 8 inches x Depth 5 inches - Sugar bowl

 - Weight is all 4 pieces

Charles Boyton was a well known silversmith who was apprenticed in 1807 to William Seaman, Hull's Street, St. Luke's. 

He registered his first hallmark in London Assay Office in 1825.
The workshop was active at 12 Europia Place, moving in 1830 to Wellington Street, St. Luke's. Further marks were entered in 1830, 1833, 1834 and 1838. From c.1849 the firm operated at Northampton Square, Clerkenwell (c. 1849-1904) under the management of Charles Boyton II (son of the founder, died 1899) and Charles Holman Boyton (grandson, died 1904).

In 1894 the business changed its title to Charles Boyton & Son and in 1919 to Charles Boyton & Son Ltd.

In the last period Charles Boyton (III) (son of C.H. Boyton) acted as governing director and the firm was active as wholesale manufacturer of silver and electroplate. The firm encountered economic difficulties and in 1933 a new company was created, entitled Charles Boyton & Son Ltd (active at Wardour Street from 1936 until 1977). In 1934 Charles Boyton (III) left the firm and opened his own business at 114 Marylebone Lane with retail premises at 98 Wigmore Street. His production in Art Deco style was engraved with a facsimile of his signature. The activity closed after 1948.

Chronology:
Charles Boyton c. 1825-1894
Charles Boyton & Son 1894-1919
Charles Boyton & Son Ltd 1919 - 1933
Charles Boyton & Son Ltd (new company) 1936-1977
Charles Boyton (III) 1934 - after 1948

 

Dimensions

W23.0 x H25.0 x D15.0 cm

Condition

Used

Date of manufacture

Unknown

Period

Unknown

Seller

VAT status

Seller is VAT registered

SKU

95190041
Icon shield blue
Choose from over 1,700 Vinterior trusted dealers
Icon padlock blue
100% secure payment by card or using your device

Payment methods supported by Vinterior

Icon tick blue
Direct communication with dealers and customer service