Antique Pair Sterling Silver Ewers Jugs By John Bridge 1825

SOLD

Antique Pair Sterling Silver Ewers Jugs By John Bridge 1825

Icon clock

You missed it!

This item was popular, check out similar styles below.

Please log in to ask a question about this item.

£20 off your first order with us

Trusted dealers

Choose from over 1,700 Vinterior trusted dealers

Secure payments

100% secure payment with credit or debit card

Payment methods supported by Vinterior

Return guarantee

14 day return guarantee and free cancellations*

Support

Direct communication with dealers and customer service

This is a really superb antique sterling silver pair of ewers with hallmarks for London 1825 and the makers mark of one of the most celebrated silversmiths of all time, John Bridge.

With chased and engraved classical foliate decoration typical of his very best work and fruitwood scroll handles.

Each is beautifully engraved with the crest and motto of Glenorchy.

There is no mistaking the unique quality and design, which is sure to make this pair a treasured item by any discerning collector.

Provenance:

John Campbell, MP, Lord Glenorchy, and thence by descent to the present owner.

Condition:

In excellent condition with no dings, dents or signs of repair.

Please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:

Height 23.5 x Width 22 x Depth 15 & Weight 30 troy oz - 1

Height 22.5 x Width 21 x Depth 13 & Weight 24 troy oz - 2

Dimensions in inches:

Height 9 inches x Width 9 inches x Depth 6 inches - 1

Height 9 inches x Width 8 inches x Depth 5 inches - 2

John Bridge (Dorset 1755 - London 1834)

The eldest son of Thomas Bridge of Piddle Trenthide Dorset, born 21 January 1755.

He was a co founder of the greatest 19th century retailers to ever grace England, Rundell Bridge & Rundell, Royal retailers to the Prince Regent.
Employing some of the most eminent craftsmen of his day. Both new and old silver, jewellery, objects of virtue and watches made up the vast stock at the London shop at number 32 Ludgate Hill. By the 1820's, it was a vast enterprise with agencies in Paris, Vienna, St. Petersburg, Baghdad, Constantinople, Bombay, Calcutta, and various cities in South America. The success was as much due to the endeavors of John Bridge as to Rundell's own ruthless character and the beauty and quality of the merchandise.

Rundell & Bridge were a London firm of jewellers and goldsmiths formed by Philip Rundell (1746-1827)and John Bridge (1755-1834). When Edmond Waller Rundell, nephew of Philip Rundell, was admitted as a partner in 1804, the firm's name changed to Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. That same year John Gawler Bridge, nephew of John Bridge also joined the firm. Following John Bridge's death in 1834 a new partnership was formed comprising John Gawler Bridge, Thomas Bigge, John Bridge's nephews and Bigge's son, and the firm changed its name to Rundell, Bridge & Co.

The firm was appointed as one of the goldsmiths and jewellers to the king in 1797 and Principal Royal Goldsmiths & Jewellers in 1804, and the firm held the Royal Warrant until 1843. After the Congress of Vienna (1814-15), the firm prepared 22 snuff-boxes to a value of 1000 guineas each to be given as diplomatic gifts.

Amongst its employees were the well-known artists John Flaxman and Thomas Stothard, who both designed and modelled silverware. Directing their workshops from 1802 were the silversmith Benjamin Smith and the designer Digby Scott, and in 1807, Paul Storr, the most celebrated English silversmith of the period, took charge, withdrawing from the firm in 1819 to establish his own workshops.

The Royal Goldsmiths served four monarchs: George III, George IV, William IV and Victoria. In addition, their name was attributed to the 'Rundell Tiara', made for Princess Alexandra in 1863.

Width: 22.0 cm
Height: 23.5 cm
Depth: 15.0 cm

Condition: Used

Wear Condition: Excellent

Date of Manufacture: Unknown

Place of Origin:

Period: 19th Century

Style: Antique

Listed by: Tino_8f8a

This seller is VAT registered.

SKU: 36582390