John Anderson Bell King’s College Cambridge Chapel Interior C. 1840 Large Watercolour

John Anderson Bell King’s College Cambridge Chapel Interior C. 1840 Large Watercolour

John Anderson Bell King’s College Cambridge Chapel Interior C. 1840 Large Watercolour

£5,850.00
Service fee
Info icon
£175.50
Delivery fee for 
£29.00*
*This is an estimated delivery price

For this location please request a delivery quote from the seller

Delivering from
London, United Kingdom
Estimated delivery time
Less than one week
Additional delivery info for seller

The above information is an estimate only, and is based upon front-door delivery. Final rates vary by destination and complexity. To get an accurate delivery quote suited to your needs, please request a quote

About this item

King’s College Cambridge Chapel Interior

Signed and indistinctly dated

Watercolour c. 1840

53x39cm

Bell was born in Glasgow; his father was James Bell, advocate and his sister Jane Cross Simpson the hymn-writer and poet. Following Edinburgh University Bell spent 1829 and 1830 in Rome as an art student, returning to the UK to serve his articles as an architect with Rickman & Hutchinson, the gothic revivalist practice in Birmingham. Subsequently he practised in Edinburgh, designing country houses, and the Victoria Buildings in Glasgow for the Conservative politician Archibald Orr Ewing in Scottish baronial style.

Thirty of the engravings in John Le Keux’s magnificent 1847 book Memorials of Cambridge are from paintings by Bell; this particular painting is believed to have been painted at the same time, although not published.

The Great East Window depicted in the painting was created between 1526 and 1531 by Gaylon Hone and three partners (one Flemish and two English) and – together with the other sixteen they made – represent some of the finest stained glass of their period. Here Bell has captured the colours and the light of the window in almost magical fashion. It is an interesting view as it records the chapel in the mid nineteenth century. In 1968 the installation of Rubens’ the Adoration of the Magi as an altarpiece involved the lowering of the Sanctuary floor through removal of the steps clearly visible in Bell’s view and also removal of the seventeenth century panelling around the walls. It is still felt that the chapel would have been better left ‘unimproved’ and without the Reubens, though the form recorded by Bell had itself been improved in 1906 when Detmar Blow designed a reredos. Blow’s reredos remains in storage in the College.

Dimensions

W39.0 x H53.0 cm

Condition

Used

Wear condition

Good

Date of manufacture

1800s

Place of origin

United Kingdom

Material

Watercolour

Period

19th Century

Seller

VAT status

Seller is not VAT registered

SKU

93714854
Icon shield blue
Choose from over 1,700 Vinterior trusted dealers
Icon padlock blue
100% secure payment by card or using your device

Payment methods supported by Vinterior

Icon tick blue
Direct communication with dealers and customer service